Saturday, June 21, 2008

Off on second leg of book tour

Having been overstretched by hopping around the south to promote my novel, HALLAM'S WAR, I have not posted here since May 6. Sorry! (for reviews, go to unbridledbooks.com, then to my book, then "Praise")

Here's my take on the New South (new to me, after years of being away and only journeying in and out for relatively short stays): it is the most racially integrated part of the country I have visited, hands down. This is encouraging to me, though I try not to be politically naive. Perhaps I am reading into the situation more positive signs than those on the ground might see. (comments?)  Still, I hope I'm right.

I continue to be struck by how what I wrote about racial and regional polarities in 1859 resonates so uncannily with the conversation that's going on in our country today. As with the characters in my book (particularly Serena, at the end), I face the future with a new infusion of hope--though not without an unblinkered realization that hard work still lies ahead.

I have met only three ACW reenactors at my various book events (or at least only three who identified themselves to me): two in Decatur, GA, at the Georgia Center for the Book, and one, Rickey Pittman, an author himself, whose quote from Akira Kurosawa on his business card I like a lot: "The role of the artist is to not look away."  Hi, Rickey!

Thanks so much to Dimitri Rotov, who keeps giving me shout-outs, and to all other bloggers who have read or are reading my book. Tip, now that the tour is almost over: you can get it from your library. 

Also, for those attracted to the "deacon" part of my blog name: have had some interesting conversations on the role (or lack thereof) of religion in my novel. Will try to post on that when I get back to California, after July 2.

Betsy


3 comments:

kay shostak said...

Hello,
I attended your reading in Woodstock, GA and bought your book that night. I attended mostly because I am also a writer desirous of being published and I figure the more I meet people that have attained my goal, the more believeable it will be to me!
I just finished Hallam's War and I loved it. I'm from Tennessee, but lived a decade in Chicago so I know the frustration in trying to pin down what it means to be Southern without sounding blind or defensive. You did a beautiful job in your book. I constantly found myself saying, "How does she know that?" Not because it was a secret something - more because you'd written about an emotion I immediately spotted as truth, but hadn't thought of before. I believe God gave you that book and I want to thank you for obeying and putting it down on paper. And also thanks for not letting it sit any longer in a box under your bed! Also thanks for coming to Georgia and being such a wonderful guest!

Mr. Tamboli said...

Dear Ms. Rosen,

I heard of your book a few days ago from a friend who loved it. She told me about it after reading a novel I wrote last year, The Last Knight by Greg Hudgens. (Cold Tree Press) My novel is set in Pulaki, Tennessee in the present time but deals with the south in the Civil War ear. I hope you take a look at my novel as I plan on getting Hallem's War today. Thanks and good luck.
Greg Hudgens

Elisabeth Payne Rosen said...

Thanks for your kind words, kshostak; I wish I knew which one you were in Woodstock--or that you'd told me about your book then. I consider myself a living, breathing monument to not giving up, and so would have been glad to encourage you. Please let me know how things turn out with your own writing.
God bless! Betsy Rosen

Mr.tamboli, I'll say the same to you--never give up!